Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"The Bean Eaters" Essay

Short. Weird. Confusing. Some readers might feel these emotions if
they read the poem “The Bean Eaters”. The poem doesn’t really make much
sense, which draws the reader in. “The Bean Eaters”, shows great imagination, rhythm, dialect, and rhyming. You can say that this poem really makes the reader’s mind go into a fantasy world. You get the feeling that Dorothy felt when she entered the Land of Oz When reading “The Bean Eaters”, you just feel like you’ve entered a whole new world.
First, the poem “The Bean Eaters” can be read in less than one minute, which shows the short length of the poem. When I first turned to the page, the title caught my eye. When reading this poem, short, weird, and confusing came to my mind. It had me wondering what the author meant by bean eaters. One of the sentences that confuses me starts at line ten and says “ Remembering, with twinkling and twinges, As they lean over the beans in their rented back room that is full of beads and receipts and dolls and cloths, tobacco crumbs, vases, and fringes”. This quote doesn’t make any sense, which is why I love it so much.
Lastly, “The Bean Eaters” has great dialect. It blew me away when I read the poem and saw so much imagery, rhythm, and rhyming. Readers should look forward to these qualities when reading a poem. One of the sentences in the poem that really stood out to me says “They eat beans mostly, this old yellow pair. Dinner is a casual affair”. This quote stood out to me because it had good rhyming and it left me trying to figure out what the author said.
Furthermore, “The Bean Eaters” becomes very difficult to understand, which makes it a great poem. The poem shows great imagery, rhyming, rhythm, and dialect. Seeing that it has all of these great writing qualities, how could anyone not enjoy reading it?

No comments: